Sunday, January 6, 2013

Feedback for Thought

Jackie took a picture of me at karaoke last night and uploaded it onto my Facebook timeline:


Not the most flattering image of me, though in my defense, I was singing "Let's Get It On" at the time. It takes a bit of strain to belt out that tune. You wouldn't think it's a popular song to dance to, but a lot of people got up and started jamming to it for some reason. They weren't really slow-dancing either; it was like they were all doing fast dances, except in slow-motion. Glorious little moments like that are the reason why I experiment with my song choices. You never know when you'll pick that one that the crowd is just really in the mood for. The only trick after that is to sing it right.

Today was a busy writing day. I finished outlining a subplot for my college friend's screenplay and e-mailed it to him for some initial thoughts. I also started outlining the sequel to my sci-fi/fantasy book. A lot of ideas have been piling up in my head over the past few years, and the best way I can think to sort them out is by writing a chapter-by-chapter summary of the story. Hopefully it will come out to roughly the same length as the first book's outline.

Lastly, I got my first customer review on Amazon: 4 out of 5 stars for Deer Lake. Here's the review itself:

"I loved the story, the characters were believable and fun. Not really a very scary story unless you are afraid of wild animals and being in the woods :)
I did find the story tended to drag a little at times. It could also use a little more editing." - ferri

I'm taking it with a grain of salt. What else can you do but learn from feedback like this and try to do better next time? I've already probably spent twice as much time editing my sci-fi/fantasy book as I did editing Deer Lake. I'm also glad that my work is finally starting get some real attention on Amazon. In addition to getting a review, Deer Lake is also showing up on the site's recommendation e-mails.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful fanbase.

No comments:

Post a Comment