Friday, November 2, 2012

Frankenstorm Schedule Shifts


Hurricane Sandy's been messing with my work hours all week. It's the holiday season at Michaels, which means we're supposed to get two inventory deliveries a week. Both of this week's were postponed by a day because the trucks couldn't leave headquarters. What's the issue with this? Well, on normal days, my shift is from 5:00am to 10:30am.

On delivery days, it starts at midnight.

Now, here's what I was always taught: when the clock strikes midnight, 12:00pm, it becomes the next day. The current day ends and a new one begins. So when I was told that this week's second supply truck would be coming in at midnight on Friday, I presumed that I was supposed to be at work at the crack of dawn today. I slept all day yesterday, stayed up all night, and loaded myself on coffee and Coca-Cola. It was a good strategy, but it was 24 hours too early. Since there was no truck to unload this morning, I ended up down-stocking for my entire shift. Lucky thing my hours are flexible at Michaels; I get to add today's accidental extra hours to my payroll.

Unfortunately, I have to go back to work at midnight...um...tonight? Tomorrow morning? Whatever. The next time the clock strikes 12:00pm.

Better crank up that coffee machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment