Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Open Mic Night

Okay, so I went to Open Mic Night at Duke's yesterday. It's not a competition between local bands after all, just a casual event where local bands just take turns performing. Sort of like karaoke, except everyone sings well and they play their own music.
Drew and Noah were both there, along with Drew's wife Joanna. My friend Jackie and her band Middle Aged were also there, and they did a few songs. Here's a video of one of their performances that they posted on Facebook:

"Knock On Wood" - Middle Aged

There was also a solo performer named Bucky there who played "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. On top of singing it, he managed to play the strings and percussion all on one acoustic guitar. I was impressed enough that he did that song, since "In The Air Tonight" was my inspiration song while writing "Deer Lake," but he really delivered on the performance too.

All in all, I'd say I liked Open Mic Night even more than karaoke. It turns out their hours are from 8pm to midnight, which works a lot better with my work schedule.It's also less crowded, which means less smokers. Second-hand smoke has always been a problem for me, and it's especially rough this time of year because it's cold outside and no one wants to open the doors to air out the building. I wore three layers of clothes last night just in case I had to go out to breathe, but it wasn't necessary. I might do that again next time, just in case a fight ever erupts at the bar. Stuff just bounces right off of you when you're that heavily insulated.

I'll definitely go back next Monday, because I might be helping Drew and Noah with a song then. Jackie told me to pick a new song for them to learn, and I said "Bent" by Matchbox Twenty since I'm curious to hear how that would translate onto acoustic guitar. At the end of the night, I was told I'd be singing backups for it. Good thing I picked a song that I really like. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment