Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Post-Christmas Blizzard

Well, it's the day after Christmas, and that means a bittersweet dose of holiday whiplash. It's a drag that the main festivities are over and you have to go back to work, but then again, at least the radio stations are done playing Christmas music. Seriously, working in retail has made me so sick of Christmas songs this year. I don't ever want to hear another Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers duet, and as far as I'm concerned, NO ONE can make "Baby It's Cold Outside" sound good. My radio alarm went off at 4:00 AM this morning, and I woke up to the wonderful sound of "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye.

My shift at Michaels went by surprisingly quickly today. They had me straightening up the ribbon aisle (one of my favorite things to do) and there were hardly any customers in the store this morning. As it turned out, that was because a massive snowstorm had begun raging while I was in the building. I didn't even recognize the parking lot when I walked outside. Lucky thing I drive a Volkswagen Beetle; all I had to do was look for the perfectly round pile of snow at the far end of the lot.


This was our neighborhood at 11:30 this morning. As soon as anyone finished shoveling their driveway, the snow had it covered again. It figures that this would happen on the day we were expecting company rather than yesterday, when we stayed home and didn't have any visitors. Since my cousins' family is from Erie though, driving in the snow wasn't nearly as big a deal for them.

That's right! We finally got together with my mother's side of the family! It was a shorter visit than we would have liked, but we made the most of it. I gave my cousin Holly a Jillian Michaels yoga DVD and she gave me a tear-off "Someecards" calendar. It offers beautifully illustrated daily sentiments such as "If it wasn't for my incredible willpower, I would be exercising right now," and "I'm worried that my guardian angel is a crack head." She totally gets my sense of humor. :)

I also got the soundtrack for The Hobbit, an iTunes card, and The Wizard of Oz on DVD. I know, I know, but that's another timeless classic. Their family left around 4:30 since both of my cousins have to work tomorrow and they wanted to beat the snowstorm out of Pittsburgh. It's about 7:20 right now, and since it's just my parents and me in the house again, I should be able to get a little more editing done tonight. Every little bit helps.

The worse of the snow is supposed to be over now. That means a more peaceful drive to and from work tomorrow. Even in the event that something does go horribly wrong while I'm driving, at least I won't be listening to Christmas music on the radio when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment